Dynamic, creative B2B and B2C communications professional offering 7+ years of experience illustrating a record helping people and organizations craft and leverage their stories to attract investment, sales and successful consumer outcomes. Strong qualifications to provide message development, media relations, Social Media, Web Content and other communications support to organizations large and small. Key credentials include:
- More than 14 years of experience writing for print and digital publications
- Masters Degree-level study of organizational communication, market research, consumer behavior, health communication, Social Media and Communication Legal Issues theory and practice
- Diverse professional background, including work experience in news, healthcare delivery, pharmaceutical and other industries
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
Writing, Editing, Strategic Communication, Internal Communication, External Communication, Investor Communication, Social Media, Market Research, Data Analysis, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power Point, Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Desktop Publishing
February 2010 – October 2011
Topaz Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – Horsham, PA
Reported to the Vice President of Commercial Planning and Operations. Developed internal, investor and government communications for a late-stage pharmaceutical development company.
- Worked with senior management to develop the messaging strategy and refine marketing strategy that attracted a $250,000 grant, two additional rounds of fundraising and a merger with a major pharmaceutical company that provided immense ROI to shareholders
- Synthesized market and scientific research to effectively and efficiently communicate with potential investors, grant application reviewers and other target audiences
- Researched and wrote white papers to assist the development of the company’s life-cycle plan
- Worked with senior management to develop a strategic business plan and launch marketing plan
- Wrote a successful grant application that produced needed capital for a start-up company
- Collaborated with Operations, Clinical and Regulatory Affairs to prepare the company’s first New Drug Application submission to the FDA
- Researched the head lice treatment market to help senior management better understand trends and competition
Marketing Communications Assistant
March 2009 – October 2009
Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital – Darby, PA
Authored press releases and internal newsletters, as well as messaging for corporate intranet, website, and digital signage. Designed and produced compelling marketing materials for internal and external events to advance promotional efforts. Partnered with senior hospital management and corporate marketing communications team to implement messaging initiatives.
- Helped overcome hospital’s size/funding disadvantages and overshadowing by larger facilities through strategic promotion of Mercy Fitzgerald as a caring, community-based hospital – contributed to 66% increase in press releases.
- Supported record number of patient consultation appointments trough direction of a small media outreach campaign for Hospital’s bariatric surgery product line.
- Played key role in planning and coordination of 2 major health fairs that attracted hundreds of visitors.
- Actively marketed key selling points – including free health screenings and workshops – to boost visibility. Composed dynamic materials to maximize awareness and reputation.
August 2008 – December 2008
ConvaTec – Skillman, NJ
- Assisted with the re-branding of a major medical devices manufacturer following a change in ownership
- Worked with a team of contractors responsible for editing and proofreading medical device labeling, packaging and inserts
- Completed required documentation paperwork to ensure compliance with F.D.A. and corporate requirements
- Started and maintained the project’s archive database, allowing for fast and easy location of completed work
News Reporter and Copy Editor
The Times of Trenton – Trenton, NJ (June 2007 – Present)
The Trentonian – Trenton, NJ (September 2004 – May 2007)
Researched, planned, and produced news and feature story packages on a variety of topics for print and digital media. Built relationships with editors, fellow reporters and information sources to identify and produce informative yet compelling stories of interest to target constituencies. Edited copy and designed pages for the daily newspaper and special sections.
- Managed the production of three special sections
- Aided the launch of The Trentonian’s digital media initiative by starting and maintaining a blog, adding content and monitoring and responding to reader comments
- Broke major news story on New Jersey Kings arena football team owner losing franchise following violation of his agreement with the league.
- Authored timely feature story in June 2008 on the rising cost of gas and its impact on families of young athletes and their ability to travel to tournaments.
- Teamed with news department on high-profile feature that discussed declining revenues and attendance at the local arena.
September 2002 – May 2004
The Boston Globe – Boston, MA
Part of a team of clerks in the sports department of the largest daily newspaper in New England. Collected results from high school and college events for publication. Assisted the section editors and copy editors.
Contributed to the Globe’s coverage of Curt Schilling’s historic trade to the Boston Red Sox in November 2003
Received other bylines in the Globe from coverage of Massachusetts state high school championship events
September 1997 – Present
Joshua Brett Writing and Communications Solutions – Philadelphia, PA
For more than a decade, I have worked on a freelance basis to help organizations and publications across the United States fulfill their needs in research, writing, editing and marketing communications. My portfolio includes breaking news stories, multi-part feature stories and opinion columns in print and online media outlets, data collection and organization for real estate market analysts, press releases and research reports.
I have clips from the following publications, amongst others:
- Boston Globe
- Baltimore Sun
Newark (NJ) Star Ledger
Worcester Telegram & Gazette
Portland (ME) Press-Herald & Maine Sunday Telegram
Albany Times Union
PR at Sunrise
M.S. in Communication Management
Temple University – Philadelphia, PA
- Completed coursework in Consumer and Buyer Behavior, Marketing Practice, Market Research, Organizational Communication, Leadership in Communication Management, Health Communication, Social Media and other subjects.
- Master’s Thesis: How Physicians Can Use Social Media Professionally
- Graduated with a 3.7 GPA while also working two jobs
B.S. in Journalism
Boston University – Boston, MA